After building my first custom mechanical keyboard which I am more than happy with, I wanted to further improve the typing experience and mod it a little more. This is why I love custom keyboards, you can pretty much do what ever you want 😀
Cem couldn’t have said it any better. So that’s what I set out to do! Although for me I was pretty happy with the sound of the keyboard, there’s always room for improvement.
First time lubing
As it’s my first build I’ve never got the chance to lube any keyboard before. Here are all the tools I ordered to get started with the lubrication process of my keyboard:
- Krytox GPL 205g0 Lubricant
- RAMA WORKS SWITCHPULLER XO SEQ2
- KBDfans Brush & Tool Set
- KBDFans Aluminium Switch Opener
After that I followed the great and very detailed tutorial by Make Tech Easier which covered every aspect of lubing keyboard switches. I highly recommend you read their excellent article if you want to learn more about lubing and the entire process behind it.
After disassembling each keyboard switch and separating it in it’s components I could slowly start lubing.
After finishing lubing all of my switches it was finally time to reassemble the keyboard, which thankfully was very easy due to the NK65 having a Hotswap PCB. After that all that was left was to install the keycaps and… do a sound test!
And that pretty much sums up the post. I hope you enjoyed the video and also thanks for reading! Happy typing!